daily life, nature study

My Morning Adventure

While filling up the dogs’ water bowls this morning, I heard a loud thud. I looked around the yard and TWO squirrels had fallen out of a tree! I couldn’t believe it. I went over to them but they weren’t moving. Oh no! I ran in the house to get my cell phone (to call Michael) and when I got back they were gone. Yeah! But….then I saw one of them a little ways away and it wasn’t moving….only blinking its eyes. I didn’t know what to do.

I talked to it for a little while and it just keep looking at me, blinking its eyes. It was so pitiful!! I knew I couldn’t let the dogs out!! Finally, I moved really close and it jumped up and ran away, although limping. I was rejoicing!!

So, I think everything is ok and I go in the house to let the dogs out. I put them out too soon! As soon as the dogs were out, I see the squirrels on the fence. Arwen runs over and got a hold of one! I then chase Arwen who drops the squirrel and it runs up a tree. It appears to be fine. I’m thinking the other squirrel ran away also but, no, there it is in the neighbor’s yard–frozen to one spot and the dogs won’t stop barking at it. Dasher was furiously digging under the fence to get over there. I tried everything I could to bring them in, even shoving a treat right under their noses haha. Finally, I went in, got their leashes and brought them in.

I just checked a minute ago and the squirrels seem to be gone. What a crazy morning!!!

PS: I am so thankful I was out there when they fell; otherwise I would have just let the dogs out and those squirrels would have been dead. God is good!!

3 thoughts on “My Morning Adventure”

  1. First of all, I stumbled onto your sight by doing a search for missionary stories for children. So…thank you for the excellent list. I love your squirrel story. Back in April one of our cats actually brought a baby squirrel into our yard, unharmed, but scared. I trapped the cats into the garage and waited for the mom to find it. About 3 hours later it was still laying in the yard so I put on garden gloves and placed it in a blanket. I never knew a squirrel could scream, but he did. I tried to comfort him and he calmed down. Well, I ended up taking care of him for 4 weeks (he was too small to survive on his own). I fed him with a medicine dropper and cleaned out his cage daily. My husband wasn't thrilled, but the kids and I loved it. We know God loves ALL creatures. I let him go in our huge walnut tree, he hung out there for a couple days then went on his way. I hope my kids always see how good God is, especially in the little things such as this.


What say you?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s